Your Outlook = Your Reality

Picture this:

You wake up in the morning - earlier than usual. Immediately, you are upset that you cannot sleep longer and dread going to work that morning. You go downstairs to get coffee, but you’ve run out. Great.

After struggling to get ready, you step outside and realize instantly that it is gloomy and raining outside. Your mood gets even worse when you think about how miserable it will be today.

You get stuck in traffic and start to panic about being late - you get irritated at the other drivers and feel like you want to yell at someone.

Getting to work, you start counting the minutes until lunchtime, and then until you are done for the day. The day seems to go by so slowly, and you feel drained and unmotivated.

You get home and don’t want to make dinner for yourself because you are exhausted. You don’t want to go outside because it’s rainy and gross - you just want to sit down and have a drink and forget about the world.

Before I go over this scenario again, with a different mindset, I’d like to point out that it is ok to have bad days, and it is ok to not feel up to doing something and taking a recharge day. However, if you live every day in the mindset that I have highlighted above, then that is when it becomes a problem for you and your life.

Now, picture this:

You wake up early in the morning and think to yourself: I may be tired, but at least I can take my time getting ready and enjoy my morning.

You head downstairs and see that you have run out of coffee - you make do with a tea and remind yourself of the lovely coffee shop by your work and say that today, before you pick up more coffee, you’ll treat yourself to a gourmet brew from there.

You step outside and see that it is raining - this is a great opportunity to grab that new raincoat or umbrella you recently bought - or you simply stop to smell the crisp air and think about what tomorrow will be like, how your garden will look, or how the streams or river near your house needed this rain. You have a small smile on your face as you run to your car or bus stop.

You get stuck in traffic - but you remind yourself, even as you feel a little stressed about it, that there is nothing you can do to control that. You text a coworker or your boss explaining the situation, and that you hope to get there on time. You think about how everyone is in the same boat as you, and that you cannot fault them for also trying to get to work or wherever they need to be. You pick up another coffee and hand it to your boss with a smile on your face when you arrive directly on time - see, no need to be stressed about something out of your control.

While at work, you talk to your coworkers and collaborate on a new project, feeling energized about what you are doing and the connections you are making. You crack a few jokes with your team and have lunch together. The time flies by, and before you know it, it’s time to clock-out.

You get home and are tired, but you know that a healthy meal will continue to make you feel better. You search up a quick recipe and use what you have in your fridge - it tastes wonderful and you add it to your favourite list on your phone.

You decide to bundle up and go on a walk outside - you love the smell of the rain and find the sound of it soothing. As you walk down the street, you think about all the things you are grateful for - like having a house over your head, a job that is rewarding and filled with friendly people, food on the table that nourishes your body, and the ability to go outside and appreciate nature.

You go to sleep thankful for your day, and excited for the next.

This scenario is very specific and will not apply to everyone. However, the message is the same for anyone: Your mindset determines your reality.

If you go about your day with the mindset that the world is against you then, everything in your day happens to you instead of for you.

Find things to be grateful/thankful for - big or small - every day. Whether it is about a bonus you got at work, a good grade in school, a new car, or simply for the air you are breathing - note it to yourself and thank the universe for it.

You will start to see a shift in your reality. You are changing the lens through which you see the world.

Have you experienced this?

Do you have any thoughts or reservations about doing this?

I would love to hear your thoughts and to have an open discussion about this topic - I truly believe it can change your life like it has mine.

I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day and look forward to hearing from you! :blush: