Private Writing Coach for High School Juniors and Seniors

Hi! I’m Kelsy from Corpus Christi, Texas, USA, currently living in Dayton, Ohio, USA. I help dedicated high school juniors and seniors tackle complex writing assignments, hone their current writing skills, and transfer those skills to new writing situations - ultimately helping to prepare these students for a successful college career.

I offer help with interpreting vague and perplexing assignment descriptions, brainstorming new ideas, organizing writing content to improve flow and coherency of students’ arguments, improving researching skills and ways to seek out credible sources, and so much more.

What makes my private writing coaching so unique is that I take a student-driven approach to each and every session. I let students tell me what they are struggling with and what they would like to work on, and we focus on those areas. Where other tutors focus on grammatical structure and word choice, I focus on the complexity of students’ arguments and put my attention into the deeper structures of each piece of writing - Grammar and word choice often come later, in the final steps of polishing each piece of writing.

My private coaching sessions also come with a hands-off approach. I won’t go through students’ writings with a red pen, but rather prefer to give suggestions on ways each document can be revised to enhance clarity and accuracy. The students’ work is not my own - I never write anything for them - but rather leave each suggestion up to each individual student to implement (or not).

And, the best part… I will help you for free. Here’s how it works:

• Ask me your question in the comments. If you would like to ask an anonymous question, that’s fine. Please be respectful.

• If you would like me to take a look at something, post a photo or video. For videos, upload to YouTube then include the video link in the comments.

• Please give me up to 5 business days to respond to your question.

Services

Private 1-on-1

• Price: $30 / hour

Small Group

• Team size: Up to 4

• Price: $20 per student, per session

• Length: 4 weeks

• Meeting: 2 times per week

• Session length: 1-2 hours, depending on need

• Start date: The beginning of each month

Classes

Writer’s Workshop - The Elements of Creative Writing

• Price: $100

• Length: 4 weeks

• Meeting: 1 time per week

• Session length: 1 hour

• Start date: TBD, based on interest

Foundations of Writing and Rhetoric

• Price: $150

• Length: 6 weeks

• Meeting: 2 times per week

• Session length: 1 hour

• Start date: TBD, based on interest

Payments accepted

• PayPal, Venmo, Cash App, Facebook Pay

How to buy

• Direct message me if interested. I will contact you within 2 business days by sending you a message on Talktime.

Interview with Talktime

What’s a fun fact about you?

In my free time, I work as a freelance writer for a new video game that’s set to release in the next few years. I help develop the lore and quests for Starium XCV, a browser based sci fi game that’s equal parts RPG and strategy game.

A photo of me in my Starium XCV shirt

Wanna find out more and read some of my work? You can check out my latest piece, The Last Harvest, via the link below:

https://reference.stariumxcv.com/index.php?title=The_Last_Harvest&fbclid=IwAR29HPMLXdGGZd_Aoj2j29Vt91KBLqyHZbpJmmlepsla-EU_PdnUkTmDTUY

What can you talk about for hours?

I love superheroes, both Marvel and DC. I’m even starting to branch out into indie companies as well. My favorite DC superhero is Wonder Woman. I love everything she stands for. I tend to be a little obsessed with her, actually. :sweat_smile: I even dressed up as her for Halloween!

Here’s me in my Wonder Woman costume, Halloween 2020

In the Marvel universe, I have several favorites. Of the OG Avengers, my favorite is Captain America. I like how humble he is. But, after Endgame, two of my favorite heroes are now Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel. I really enjoy seeing powerful women superheroes.

What’s your favorite smell?

I enjoy the smell of fresh baked cookies, especially in candle scent. I love candles in general, but go absolutely crazy for candles that smell like baked goods. Naturally, one of my favorite stores is Bath and Body Works. :smile:

What are you proud of, but never have an excuse to talk about?

My accomplishments in becoming an independent adult. I faced many challenges in my life, and thought I would never move away from my parents. But once I went to college, I learned how to live and thrive on my own. I found my own independence. And I’m really proud of the progress I’ve made in finding my way in the world.

What’s one super power you would NOT want?

Taking other people’s energy or powers. I feel bad for Rogue in the X-Men because she can’t touch anyone. I enjoy helping people and love the act of giving. So I would hate having a power that makes me take from people I care about.

What is the most normal thing about you?

Lol, what is normal? I like pizza. Everyone likes pizza, right? Lol, this is a silly question. And so difficult to answer! I guess I’m not a “normal” person, then. :sweat_smile:

What do you hate?

I hate when people aren’t kind to one another. I always try to look on the bright side of everything, and I know my optimism can get annoying to my friends at times. But I always try to find the silver lining because it’s too easy to get bogged down in despair.

People being unkind makes me sad, and 99.9% of the time that unkindness is uncalled for. I’d rather spread love than hate.

Anything else that you’d like to share?

I’m just your average, goofy writing teacher with a passion for my students and the rest of the world around me. I believe that reading and writing shouldn’t be a chore, but rather viewed as a way to communicate with those around us. Language and love are the threads that tie humanity together, and my goal in life is to share both with my students.

A photo of me and some of my students

In my words

Certifications

• Masters in English - Concentration: Writing Studies, Online Writing

• TESOL Certification

• English Language Arts and Reading for grades 7-12 (Texas)

My teaching style

• Private Tutoring: I believe in helping students come to their own conclusions about their work. I never tell a student what to do, but rather give suggestions on how pieces of writing can be improved. For help with reading, I show example texts or attempt to find excerpts from the chapter/text in question, then give live demonstrations of reading strategies. My lessons are student driven - if you would rather not work on a particular area, that’s perfectly ok! We can switch focus mid-lesson to work on something else. I am comfortable with that.

• Groups: I work with groups of students to help them improve their writing skills in a collaborative environment. I believe that one of the best ways to learn is through watching others while you engage with your own work. So, each session takes a look at what the students are working on individually, but are discussed within a collaborative group atmosphere.

• Classes: My classes are usually 40/60, with a mini lecture of the topic that takes roughly 40% or less of the session, then a workshopping portion that takes roughly 60% or more of the lesson. I believe that students learn through doing and applying the skills they’ve been taught. And what better place to practice than right there in class? :slight_smile: I use a variety of tools when I teach, including tools provided right here in TalkTime! And as always, the class readings are always provided for free.

What can you expect from my lessons?

• Private Tutoring: In each tutoring session, please come prepared with the piece of your work that you would like to work on. If you have the prompt for the piece of writing, please bring that as well. For readings, please either bring a pdf copy of the text, or tell me in advance the name of the text, so I can find an excerpt from the text for us to analyze and evaluate together.

• Group work: Please come prepared to share your work with the other members of your group. Disclaimer: If you have not made progress on your assignment or do not bring something new to work on during the meeting (i.e. you show up “empty handed”), you will be charged a $10 fee. Please come prepared to work.

• Classes: Please come prepared to listen, write, and share your work with your peers. We will work on different activities during class: from freewrites to journal entries to reading responses (don’t worry, all readings will be provided.) You may use your own paper journal at home or digital paper in Word, Pages, Docs, etc. - whichever you are more comfortable with. Also, we will be using the “In Progress” and “Done” features of TalkTime. Please come prepared to do at least 20 minutes worth of writing and sharing.

Why me?

I have 3+ years of teaching experience, both with teaching high school and college level students. I taught Writing and Rhetoric at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi (TAMUCC) from August 2018 to this past December of 2020, with my classes consisting of hybrid forms, fully online forms, and special international sections. Before I taught at TAMUCC, I worked as a writing consultant for a year at the Center for Academic Student Achievement and as a student teacher for high school students at the Flour Bluff Independent School District. I have worked with a range of students, from students who are differently abled to students learning English as a second language. I have also worked with students from all walks of life and view all students as equally worthy of education and support.

Why I’m passionate about this?

Teaching has always been a passion of mine. I believe every student is capable of learning, no matter what they have been told in the past or what their past experiences have been like. I am dedicated to each and every student I work with, and desire to not only share my love of teaching with others, but to get to know each student as an individual.

One of my students when he won an award for his presentation

Me and one of my ESL students, Halloween 2019

Attending the Xin Chao festival with my ESL students, 2018

For far too long, English, reading, and the study of writing have all been viewed as boring, with students trudging through five-paragraph essays and meaningless fill-in-the-blanks. My passion is to bring life and a focus on communication back into the study of reading and writing, no matter how mundane the task.

What else I can do?

I will also be posting journal entries, challenges, and mini lessons about topics that interest me within the field of writing or that have to do with writing/reading. I hope these insights into my personal interests and teaching methods will not only allow you to see more of who I am as a person, but also topics that I am passionate about in my daily life and work.