Overcoming Emotional Distress

Overcoming Emotional Distress

Philippians 4:6-7

I live for practicality while living intentionally for God. Since the end of 2020, I realized the last few years; I moved aimlessly like being on autopilot. You know, going to work, home, shopping for groceries, playing with the kids, sitting, watching TV, and looking for the weekends to relax and chill.

2020 hit, and things changed, having to quit my full-time job to care for my infant due to daycares closing. Living on one income and reducing expenses was a wake-up call and a realization of how life was changing, and I wasn’t ready for it.

Everyday bombarded by anxious thoughts of the worst-case scenarios, the lack of calls for jobs as many businesses froze hiring during COVID, and all of this would consume my days. In September, I had enough sleepless nights, nervousness, gloomy news day in and day out.

So I cried out to the Lord, laying everything out of my selfish ways, exposing my need to look to myself for help, listening to other voices, and I needed him to help me in my unbelief. I asked him to help me practice and learn how to live the life Christ designed for me through his death.

The Lord lead me to Luke 18:1-8. Jesus was telling the disciples a parable to make a point that they ought to pray and not give up and lose heart at all times. He tells a parable of an unjust judge who did not fear God or respect men. A desperate widowed woman continued daily coming to him and asking him to give her justice and legal protection from her Adversary.

The unjust judge blew her off daily with no regard to her concern or care. However, one day he said to himself, I know I do not care anything about men or even respect for God, but this widower will wear me out if I don’t do something.

So he granted the widow her petition, and Jesus stated, listen will not our just God defend and avenge His elect who cry out to Him day and night? Will he delay in providing on their behalf? He will protect and avenge them quickly.

What a promise! Jesus stated that we are to bombard heaven with our petitions and supplications. What does this mean? We must take our requests to him concerning the anxious thoughts, the fear, lack, irrational thinking, or temptation from the evil one (Matthew 6). As a believer, we are to cry out to him, tell him that we are weak, that we want his ways but don’t know how to get out of the funk! We have a legal right of protection of our Father to help us!

Hebrews 5:7 to paraphrase, Jesus, when he lived his life on this earth, offered up both [specific] petitions and [urgent] supplications for what he needed. With emotional crying and tears to the One who was always able to save Him from death, the Father heard Jesus because of His reverent submission toward God.

Wow, there it was, the answer to my prayers! How to overcome my anxious thinking and emotional distresses. I bombarded heaven with urgent supplications concerning my anxious thoughts and specific petitions for others who needed prayer.

I intentionally made it my goal from day to day to:

Philippians 4:6-7

Be anxious for nothing but in everything and every circumstance and situation by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, continue to make your (specific) requests known to God.

Today, I walk in the promise of the peace of God, transcending my heart and my thoughts in Christ Jesus and so can you.

1 Like

Hey, it was nice reading your post. God is always here for you, if you are sincere with your self. he will guide you if you are real in your soul.

i know you are gone through allot and sharing your thoughts to inspire others. that good.

i am really interested to talk with you, collaborate with you. and help you find a way to spend quality time, and help others while monetising your own time, skills, in fun way.

let me know if its interest you

Regards: Adi

1 Like

I try to take one day at a time…
I have SOooo much to be grateful for…

But some days are challenging…

1 Like

Hello Peg,

Thank you for stopping by and I pray that if you had a chance to read the devotional that God would reveal a word from it to you.

That is awesome that you recognize blessings in your life. But can you tell me what is challenging for you?

My adult children do not seem to want me to get on with life after losing my husband to cancer…I have gone to support groups and stayed active and want to find and be happy again…they seem to want me to stay home… I have to much energy for that…
My husbands passing has changed the dynamics of our family and I don’t think they are accepting of it…:woman_shrugging::woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging:

I want to extend my condolences. And losing a loved one leaves an empty whole that effects everyone one different. But part of your healing as been actively involved in your support groups which has helped you center your focus on living and moving on which is wonderful.

You stated that there’s an impression from your adult children as they don’t want you to move on. What would you like to accomplish within this challenge your having?

Pretty simple… just want my children to be happy with themselves and I