Need your QuickBooks Online file untangled?

Ask me anything

Greetings and salutations! My name is Juliet Hurley and I am from Southfield, MI, USA and currently live in Durham, NC, USA. I unravel accounting messes for small business owners and then empower them to keep their QuickBooks Online program running like a well-oiled machine.

My ProAdvisor Website

I offer free consultations. Here’s how it works:

• Tell me about your QuickBooks mess that you need help with untangling in the comments section. Since accounting issues are sensitive, it is OK if you comment anonymously. Please do not share sensitive information such as your company’s Tax ID, name or number of your bank account, or negative comments about a previous bookkeeper who left or ProAdvisor that you may have not liked working with.
  • I will reply to your post if I believe I can help you with your issue. For example, I do not set-up payroll taxes or sales tax but I can resolve reporting problems so the program does not say you owe past due taxes that you previously paid.
  • You do not have to post your accounting issue in the comments section if you do not want to. Another option is to schedule a complimentary 30-minute conversation using my calendar.

Services

Private 1-on-1

• Price: $85 / hour
  • Location: Remotely by using an Accountant Invitation from your QuickBooks Online program plus Zoom, FaceTime, or phone.

Payments accepted

• QuickBooks Invoice or PayPal

How to Schedule a Free 30-Minute Chat

• Choose a day and time that works best for you using my calendar.

Interview with Talktime

What’s a fun fact about you?

*I have seven tattoos, each one representing a different struggle or emotion.

What can you talk about for hours?

*Not much. I am an introverted person. However, after one or two high-gravity imperial stouts/DIPAs, I become this huge story teller. The stories can go on for hours, but they may never end. Instead, I will remember a different story mid-stream and start a new story. I’ve heard this is typical of Sagittarius. :rofl:

What’s your favorite smell?

*I LOVE the smell of freshly ground Italian-roasted coffee. I could sniff that aroma all day long. Italian-roasted coffee beans produce a great crema in espresso and have a nice dark taste. I’m not a fan of fruity and floral tasting espresso but love traditional tasting expresso blends.

What are you proud of, but never have an excuse to talk about?

*I was an Expert Witness in an embezzlement case by analyzing a QuickBooks Audit Trail Report. Years ago, I had tinkered with moving my career into financial crimes investigations because of my talent for analyzing data and being able to make connections between independent data sets. First, I tried the private investigator route but found that the rules to get a license were unobtainable. Then I researched attending a Certified Forensic Accounting program, but the cost to maintain the certification did not make sense to me because I did not want to pass the cost on to my clients. But I did get to work on a project because of networking with a person who was studying Forensic Accounting and am very proud of the work I did.

What is the most normal thing about you?

*I have one head, two eyes, one nose, one mouth, two ears, two arms, two legs, two hands and two feet. Other than that, I am not that “normal”. My husband calls me singularity because he believes I’m the only one that exists. And many times, people have told me, “I have never met anyone like you before.”

Anything else that you’d like to share?

*I am a very positive person that looks for the “how can I” instead of the “I can’t” who lives with a mental illness called Bipolar Disorder. The positive of living with this mental illness is that I have been able to hone a unique thinking ability into a prosperous business - I have a knack for quickly identifying and correcting accounting errors and can see patterns in large volumes of data that most people cannot. In addition, I am able to read people very well so that I can mimic my teaching technique with how you learn to provide you with time and cost- efficient training.

In my words

*I love to empower people and am not a typical stuffy accountant. I would rather teach you accounting terms and how to perform your own accounting than to keep you hostage to rely on my expertise in order to make money. A client once told me that I would put myself out of business by teaching people what I know, and I countered with, “as soon as you think you know everything, I will teach you something new.”

Here are a couple of fun stories I wrote about trips I have taken to celebrate two of my birthdays. The first story is about my trip to China to study kung fu and visit the Shaolin Temple and the second story is about my trip to Ireland with my husband to visit County Cork where the surname Hurley originated.

Almost 3 years ago, I had my second surgery to remove breast cancer. Part of my journey and more personal details about myself can be found on the homepage of my second company, EverChange, LLC.

My teaching style

*I teach according to your learning style. Do you need structure? I can break the training into very small sections, providing you tasks to complete before we meet again. Do you have a bunch of random questions you want answered? Make a list and we can go through them one at a time until you fully understand the issue. Do you like rewards? I give out stickers to clients that do their homework. I had one client that would demand a sticker for each task that was completed. During our conversations, I change my teaching to change with how you are responding. If you look very confused, even if you are saying you understand, I will explain the topic another way. If I realize you are a visual learner, I open many windows to show you the results of what I am teaching you.

What can you expect from my lessons?

*You will learn something new :brain:. You may learn something huge such as a complete change of a process that was not working or you may learn something tiny like a shortcut key. I don’t know about you, but I get so excited when I learn a tiny new thing. My husband thinks I’m weird when I discover some new tidbit because I act like I won the lottery.

Why me?

*Because I’m the best is what I think in my head - and if I say that out loud my husband says, “and so humble.” Why me is not necessarily the question, because my style does not work for everyone. Some clients love to work with me and some absolutely hate me and we disengage service. For those I mesh with, I make accounting fun! I get people excited to do their books and help them sleep better at night by relieving their anxiety. Clients have told me that they are not so afraid to try something in QuickBooks after meeting with me because they know I can fix it if they break it.

What else I can do?

*I can tear off two layers of shingles from a house and install a new roof, complete with ice and water barrier, proper air ventilation, and metal valleys. When I lived in Michigan, I earned my Residential Builders License because I love doing home improvements. Changing a door handle from a rusty old piece of crap to a nice brushed nickel puts a huge smile on my face just as much as putting in hours of work installing a barn door that my husband wanted in our kitchen. I am all about continual improvement. My company in Michigan was called EverChange, LLC and I service-marked the phrase “Forever Changing Your Business in an Ever-Changing Business Environment.”