Ask me anything
Hello, my name is Euan McLaughlin and I am from a small town called Greenock in Scotland. I am currently studying towards my Masters of Mechanical Engineering and would love to help anyone currently enrolled in a Mechanical Engineering course/job.
Engineering as a whole is an amazing topic and I am currently using my mechanical and electrical knowledge to build a quadcopter drone, a control system for a wind turbine and design two chassis’ for a group within my university (this is my work for my thesis and I will soon have a website for this ).
My LinkedIn profile: LinkedIn Profile
I will help you for free. Here’s how it works:
Ask me your question in the comments. If you would like to ask an anonymous question, that’s fine. Please be respectful.
Above all, I am passionate about engineering (not just mechanical) so if you have a question about ANYTHING related to engineering then I will try my best to answer you!
- Price: £12 / hour
- Location: Zoom, Discord, or phone.
How to buy
- Direct message me if interested. I will contact you within 2 business days by sending you a message on Talktime.
Interview with Talktime
What can you talk about for hours?
- Space. I have long been fascinated about what we can do in space and now with SpaceX making space travel economical, it has got to be the coolest and most interesting topic of all!
What’s your favorite smell?
- Frying Garam Masala. Asian cooking is my passion (whenever stressed from university work, I try find new food to cook) and whenever I am making a curry, the smell Garam Masala gives off when it is fried in hot oil is amazing.
What are you proud of, but never have an excuse to talk about?
- Bouncing back from struggling with anxiety (meditation and CBD oil )
What is the most normal thing about you?
- I love playing and watching football.
What do you hate?
- Olives, I physically cannot stand them.
Anything else that you’d like to share?
- Meditation has become part of my life and I try to meditate daily, truly life changing (sounds weird to sit still and do nothing but breathe, but it is tremendous).
My work with Strathloop
Strathloop are competing the SpaceX’s hyperloop competition and the work they are doing is very cool! I was part of Strathloop during my fourth year (you can see my lovely glasses below ) and I was part of the chassis team. Here, I was responsible for all Finite Element Analysis (FEA) studies for the chassis.
My work with Strathloop led me to host a webinar during COVID lockdown focussing on the industrial applications of FEA FEA webinar. I was primarily targeting 1st/2nd year students since they would not have had much experience using this analysis software (the university uses ANSYS btw).
My teaching style
- I will primarily use PowerPoint (if possible) or do a screen sharing method to help with any problems. I feel working through problems in live time is best for understanding (this is what we would do pre-COVID, working together cements understanding in my opinion).
What can you expect from my lessons?
- I try to understand problems from the root in order to summarise them or make them easier to understand/digest. I will try make everything as easy to follow as possible in accordance with your level of understanding.
- I love helping people to the best of my ability. I have industry experience in a manufacturing facility and love getting hands on with engineering projects. My experience will help you understand any engineering problem you may have and I PROMISE to help you understand problems from the root.
Why I’m passionate about this?
- I want to help transition the world to a sustainable, net zero environment. This is why I started studying Mechanical Engineering. I also love new projects as they keep your interest alive (during lockdown I learned the basics of Python which is helping my build a control system for a wind turbine, my passion is turning into physical processes).
What else I can do?
- I love to meditate! Exploring the North of Scotland is also one of my passions, that is why I am building a quadcopter drone as it will allow me to get a different perspective of all the Munros.