Let's "play"! Violin lessons with a Juilliard Grad

Hi! I am Sheng-Ching. I help people experience the joy of communicating and expressing themselves through their violins.

DMA, Stony Brook University
MM, The Juilliard School
BM, Mannes School of Music

Private 1 -1 lessons
$65//45 minutes
$85//1 hour

I love seeing students grow to love their instruments and be able to express themselves through performing music. Studied with legendary violinists such as Itzhak Perlman and Aaron Rosand, ​I have more than a decade of teaching experience and I offer lessons for all levels and ages. Lessons can be done in both English and Mandarin.

My teaching style changes depending on the students. The lesson could be chilled or serious, but it is always goal-orientated and structured. I choose the repertoire according to the students’ interests, whether classical, musical, film or pop, and I notate the music myself to make sure it fits the level of the particular student. More than a teacher, I aim to be a friend of my students whom they feel open and comfortable to be around with. I want them to experience how wonderful it is to have music in their lives - whether to pursue seriously or as a hobby. I want them to know that I care about them and I want to inspire them just as how they do for me.
Let’s discover together how fun it is to play music!
More about me: www.shengchinghsu.com

How to buy
Ask questions in the comments. Direct message me if interested. I will contact you within 24 hours by sending you a message on Talktime.

Payments accepted
Zelle, Venmo

Watch me on youtube:

Words from my students:
Sheng-Ching has gotten my attention with her impressive academic background but won my heart with her warm, patient and encouraging personality as my first violin teacher. I didn’t think I’d stick to learning such a difficult instrument as an adult if I didn’t meet Sheng-Ching. She has been flexible enough to teach me my favorite songs to keep me engaged and firm enough to make sure I also learn music theory and the right techniques as we go on. Taking lessons from Sheng-Ching makes learning fun and I look forward to every lesson with her. No matter how old you’re, I highly recommend Sheng-Ching if you want to develop a deep appreciation toward music as well as learn how to enjoy playing violin!" - Linna

“Sheng-Ching was gentle but firm in her instruction. At seven years old, my daughter had not yet developed the discipline, persistence and stamina needed in violin playing. Sheng-ching offered appropriate rewards to motivate my daughter without going overboard. More importantly, Sheng-Ching taught my daughter how to practice in between lessons. Thanks to Sheng-Ching’s suggestions, my daughter is now enjoying music at a deeper level. Simply persuading a child to play in order to please a parent is one thing. Sheng-Ching accomplished way more by instilling a genuine love of music in my daughter.” - Min

2 Likes

Hey Sheng-Ching so glad to see you taking action. Wonderful post. I did a quick google search on Itzhak Perlman and Aaron Rosand. That’s so cool that you studied under their guidance. What was the biggest take away from learning from Itzhak Perlman and Aaron Rosand? How did it influence your teaching style? And how do you take their teaching and help those who study under you now? Those were the quick questions that popped into my head. Plus, absolutely loved your concerts via YouTube. Do you still play with any of those pianists? Great job Sheng-Ching!

1 Like

Hi,
Thank you so much for the questions! Yes I have been fortunate to have great mentors in my life. I think the biggest take away, other than learning to play the instrument, is how much they care for their students. They are people who have performed on significant venues all around the world, but when you are with them in a small studio, they talk to you like friends, they joke around and laugh at your jokes. But they are passionate and serious in what they do - they put their hearts into music which is what makes them great musicians. I try to bring the same in my lessons - rather than a teacher, I actually build personal relationships with my students. Not just to teach them violins, but I ask how they are doing in life in general, share my life with them and I love it when they do the same with me. I want them to know that I care about them and I am there for them. I also want them to know that it’s not just about playing music but a way to enhance life and to make life more colorful. I want to show how much music has shaped me into a better human being, and that I want them to experience the same.

Thank you again for reaching out, I hope I was able to answer some of your questions. I still keep in touch with my friends and colleagues but unfortunately we can’t play together yet, hopefully soon!!

Best,
Sheng-Ching