Improve your videos with Sound Design

Hey! My name is Patrick Kelly. I currently live in Arkansas, but spent most of my life in Washington State. I have studied sound design for both videos and live production for the past 7 years, while also being a tutor for others in my field. I wanted to continue helping people, but this past year has made it difficult, so I switched to online tutoring. If you want to see more about my background, feel free to check the website below.

pksoundscapes.weebly.com

I’m happy to answer simple questions for free:

• Ask me your question in the comments. If you would like to ask an anonymous question, that’s fine. Please be respectful.
  • If you would like me to take a look at something, post a photo or video. For videos, upload to YouTube then include the video link in the comments.
  • Please give me up to 3 business days to respond to your question.

If you want a more in-depth discussion on sound design:

Private 1-on-1

• Price: $20 / hour

Small Group

• Team size (up to 5)
  • Price: $100 per student
  • Length: 1 weekend
  • Meeting: Saturday and Sunday
  • Session length: 3 hours
  • Start date: New groups start monthly

Payments accepted

• PayPal*

How to buy

• Direct message me if interested. I will contact you within 2 business days by sending you a message on Talktime.

Interview with Talktime

Talktime: It’s good to have you. Thanks for taking the time to do this with us. Feel free to write how you talk. The best interviews show instead of tell. Do you have photos, videos, or work samples? Include these in your response if possible. Bottom line: Show yourself in action.

Of course! On my website their are links to most of my previous work, and you can also find one of my award winning projects (“Where Are You”) on SaltFlix. Here is a re-edit I finished recently as well:

What’s a fun fact about you?

When I am not working on sound design, I am a professional magician. I specialize in close up magic, and have also been doing that for about 7 years now.

What can you talk about for hours?

There are a lot of things I am very passionate about, but sleight of hand is one that has always been able to stretch conversations on for hours. My best friend and I used to spend entire Saturdays talking about new effects at the local Dairy Queen when we were still in High School.

What’s your favorite smell?

Easily Honeysuckle. Living in Arkansas has increased my fondness for the smell driving down the road.

What are you proud of, but never have an excuse to talk about?

I like to play online games, although I have terrible connection. I once got the best score on the team while having about 1000 ping (unfortunately did not win that game).

What’s one super power you would NOT want?

Flight. Knowing my luck, I would hit every bird in the same zip code as me.

What is the most normal thing about you?

When I am not at work, I am very clumsy. My friends often wonder how I manage to fall while performing the simplest actions.

What do you hate?

Being late. I would rather show up barely able to breathe from sprinting a half mile (has happened) than be 3 minutes late to something.

Anything else that you’d like to share?

I hope I can get to know whoever I help better. My background in magic and tutoring has taught me to value relationships over work. While I am happy to help, I am even happier to make new friends that are interested in sound design.

In my words

My teaching style

I teach by translating difficult ideas into concepts that you are familiar with. Metaphors are something I use heavily, and I try to use metaphors that involve your hobbies so we can talk the same language. It is the most effective way I have found to teach people from different backgrounds.

What can you expect from my lessons?

I will have you set the topic of conversation. My lessons are a discussion where you can build an understanding by simply exploring an idea through conversation. I will of course teach and guide you, but my goal is to show you the logic for the solution so you can apply it to other issues that may come up on another project.

Why me?

I am a self taught sound designer. I understand what it feels like to be stuck on a project and not have a guide to point you in the right direction. It can be frustrating and often takes a lot of reading. I’m here to translate the complex ideas you would find after hours of research in a simple way to make them easier to understand and apply.

Why I’m passionate about this?

At birth, my brain shut off my left eye. This messed up my depth perception and peripheral vision. However, my ears are what allowed me to learn how to function correctly. What I can’t see, I can hear. Through this I gained a new appreciation for what sound can do, so when I encountered sound engineering, when I was 14, I became obsessed with how far you could push its capabilities.

What else I can do?

I can tutor in the area of recording, mixing, editing, and repair. I can also help you plan out music choice or what individual sounds could be layered together in the final product. Our discussions won’t just be on one point. We will look at the entire project because sound is not just one part, it is what glues everything together and should be viewed as a collective instead of in insolation.

1 Like