Experienced Counselor - Empowering Women and LGBTQ folks!

My name is Phoenix Dawn and I am an experienced volunteer counselor for a crisis center, currently finishing the last semester of my social work program and starting my freelance career as a counselor.

I am LGBTQ, a survivor of abuse and assault, and also struggled with mental health for two decades before I learned what works for me.

Although I am primarily a peer counselor and focus on lending an ear and helping you reframe your experience helpfully, I also have training in the following:

• Life Coaching

• Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

• Dialectical Behavioural Therapy

• Motivational Interviewing

I also take quite a bit of inspiration from Carl Jung’s work, as well as various philosophers and psychologists and I am existential in my approach so we can explore topics such as life purpose, ethical dilemmas, and ways to maximize your potential and joy.

I work from an intersectional perspective and that also means that if you cannot afford my full rates, we can discuss options that would make therapy more accessible to you.

I know that many people who are most in need cannot afford counseling and I want to change that.

Rates:

$50/ hour or agreed upon reduced rate.

Payment through Paypal or e-transfer immediately following the session.

Platform used: zoom (free to download).

Please message me at Phoenix.Dawn.Rising@gmail.com for more information about my services.

Ask me anything.

Hi! I’m Phoenix Dawn from Toronto, ON, Canada. I help empower people to develop resilience, self-knowledge, and emotional intelligence skills.

I will help you for free. Here’s how it works:

• Ask me your question in the comments. If you would like to ask an anonymous question, that’s fine. Please be respectful.

• Please give me up to 5 business days to respond to your question.

### Interview with Talktime

*Talktime: It’s good to have you. Thanks for taking the time to do this with us. Feel free to write how you talk.

What’s a fun fact about you?

I do belly dancing improvisation and find it very empowering because it allows me to feel free and sensual.

What can you talk about for hours?

I can talk for hours about neuroscience and psychology experiments because the mind is the most fascinating thing to me. In fact, I like to use illustrations from psychology experiments to explain to you why I am approaching our sessions in a certain way.

What’s your favorite smell?

Lavender, because it is so relaxing!

What are you proud of, but never have an excuse to talk about?

I am proud of being a crisis line worker for an organization that strives to empower women who have experienced sexual assault and harassment.

What’s one superpower you would NOT want?

I would not want to read thoughts because I respect and highly value others’ privacy.

What is the most normal thing about you?

Nothing is normal about me and I am proud of it because I try to be authentic in work, relationships, and every other area of my life…which means letting my quirks show and guiding others towards unconditional self-acceptance.

What do you hate?

I hate judging people because you never know what a person has been through and how it affected them. I believe that most people want to be good and just ask in unskillful ways to have their needs met.

Anything else that you’d like to share?

I work using empowerment models, which means I want to help you learn how to fish for yourself rather than bringing you fish. I don’t see the benefit in you becoming dependent on my coaching and counseling so I will do my best to empower you to find your inner strength and resourcefulness.

My teaching style

Empathic, gentle, thoughtful

What can you expect from my sessions?

You will feel heard and validated but also challenged to reach your full potential.

Why me?

*I am committed to empowering you to help yourself and I have the experience and knowledge to support you in whatever life throws at you. *

Why I’m passionate about this?

I am passionate about helping people because I was once very stuck, to the point where I didn’t feel like going on with life anymore and I want to help people realize their potential and the power they have hidden within just as I helped myself.

What else I can do?

I can show you what you’re capable of and empower you to go after it!