Creative Writing: Lessons, Critiquing and Editing All Levels

Hello! Many of you will recognize my name, but allow me to introduce myself anyway. !

My name is BJ Neblett and I have been writing all of my life. My books include:

Ok, a little bit about me.
Writing has been a part of my life going way back to grade school (I won’t say how far back that is). Being interested in space and also cars, I drove the nuns crazy with my stories of outer space invaders and talking automobiles. To say they didn’t know what to make of me is putting it nicely. But I managed to somehow survive and made my way into public high school. There I was lucky enough to find others like myself, and, more importantly, teachers who understood and nurtured my need to create.
I was lucky enough to have my first published poem in a national anthology before I graduated. More poetry and more publications followed in the next couple of years. But being brought up on TV sitcoms and Saturday afternoon matinees, it was the long-form, in particular, short stories that interest me.
It wasn’t long before my stories began finding a place in the popular pulp sci-fi and fantasy magazines. I was on my way!
2011 saw the publication of my first novel, Elysian Dreams, a contemporary sci-fi/fantasy of gangsters, history professors, time portals, and Martians. Crazy huh? But it was good enough to win a few awards and critical acclaim.

Alright, enough bragging. My arm is sore from trying to pat myself on the back.

So you want to be a writer? Or maybe you are a writer and need some help with that project. Or maybe you’ve finished your manuscript and would like a critical eye to push it over the top. Or you are anywhere in-between.
I can help. I want to help. I like to help.

Being a published author, I have been asked to speak on the craft of writing numerous times. Before all this Covid-19 craziness, I spoke regularly at local libraries. And I teach classes on the different phases of writing here in Seattle at the renowned Hugo House for Writers. In short, I have much to offer and I love teaching the craft.
Signing Books 2019

I am available for anyone from beginner to the established writer.
I offer full continuing classes, extended single sessions, one on one counseling, full and partial editing/critiquing, and more.
I am, at the moment, available at your convenience.
And, I believe, for what I have to offer, very reasonably priced.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. I will be happy to discuss your needs and set up a program, price, and time that fits your needs.

Here are a few examples:
Full six weeks, once a week, two-hour classes for a total of 12 hours of instruction start as low as $240
A single one-hour consultation is $30
Extended, one day sessions of four hours or more start at $20/hour
Content and style editing prices are based on the subject matter, length of copy, and depth of involvement.

E-mailed hand-outs and other material come with each class.

Invite your friends! Discounts for multiple students.

All of my prices can be negotiable depending on the subject, length, depth of involvement, and individual need.

Payment is through PayPal. Other arrangements can be made.

Here are a few examples of available classes. I can also tailor classes to the individual student’s needs.

Introduction To Fiction
Short Story and Flash Fiction
Building The Perfect Beast: Character
Say What? Dialogue
The Art Of Editing
Here There Then Now: Making Sense Of Time Travel

All classes can be tailored for age, ability, and personal interest as needed.
Have an idea? Special need? Let’s talk!

You may contact me through this site or directly at bjneblett@gmail.com

That’s for hanging in there. It’s a lot to digest, I know. But don’t just take my word. Check me out. Here’s how:

Web Site
Blog
Amazon

Still need to know more?

Interview with Talktime

What’s a fun fact about you?
I can’t swim.

What can you talk about for hours?
Most anything… maybe… I guess…

What’s your favorite smell?
Pizza!

What is the most normal thing about you?
Nothing.

What do you hate?
Pickles and onions.

Anything else that you’d like to share?
I am the best softball pitcher ever. Wanna play?

In my words

I love writing and teaching writing. If I didn’t have rent to pay I’d do it for free. Just always remember to:
“Always start the week off with a pair of socks that have no holes.”

Thanks,
Peace