Consumer to Peer to Professional and back? Mental health coaching

Professional help is a great thing but it has its limitations. It is great to take a class in mental illness and know all about it from research and such. However how many counselors or therapists who have only learned through a grad school degree and research actually have felt what major depression and persistent social an generalized anxiety feels like?

I have been on both sides of the fence when it comes to mental health. I begain fighting the battle at 14 when my father passed away (and I was left grief-stricken) and have never given up the fight. I think I am 95 percent to where I want to be in regards to my recurring depression. As a direct result of my struggles through my early 20’s, I ultimately I decided to get a masters in counseling and worked with young people for a while so I got to see things from the professional perspective as well. I never wanted anyone to have to experience what I did, but if they were there I wanted to help them through it. That was always my goal. I am here to offer support and 1 to 1 mentoring/coaching if you are going through a tough time (not counseling or therapy just guidance and a listening ear).

I have mostly worked 1:1 with teens and young adults in the past who have had persistent mental health challenges and were either transitioning or learning how to be independent while others just needed some guidance and support. I am open to taking on anybody however.

Looking to get $20 for an hour.

Qualifications:
Master of Arts in Counseling earned in January 2000 from Montclair State University (NJ)
Bachelor of Arts in Psychology earned August 1997 from Ramapo College of New Jersey
Certified in Mental Health First Aid, certified Hope Coach through Fresh Hope for Mental Health (a peer run group)
5 yrs experience in 1:1 mentoring, coaching, and counseling
Lived experience since adolescence (30 yrs ago)

This has been a tough year so everyone reading should have at least a bit of a sense of hope as we made it 50 out of 52 weeks of the year. Sometimes it isn’t the destination but rather the journey an 2020 sure has been a journey.

Charles G. Flannery, MA
www.linkedin.com/in/charlesgflannery