Communication skills practice partner needed

Hello, I just read another post about people being on this to make money, but I was under the impression it was to find people to talk with, too. I hope I’m not wrong!

I have been listening to the audiobook Feeling Good Together by David D. Burns, M.D. It makes a lot of sense, and I think we would benefit from being able to do the practice and role playing exercises in it with someone who isn’t a part of our personal life. I think a lot of us need to refresh our communication skills in the midst of the isolation and division that’s been happening over the past year. Dr. Burns’s techniques might even help us to deepen our understanding and empathy toward each other to a level much higher than it was before all this.
In my personal life, most people don’t want to talk about talking, are suspicious of self-help or things they see as “psycho-babble”, or worse, are ultra macho and have that “f*** your feelings” attitude!
So I don’t know where to turn, other than here, in hopes that someone shares my concern and might also want to hone their empathy and communication skills to turn what could be more conflict into better understanding and trust.
If you would like someone to talk with about this and practice with please let me know.

1 Like

Hi Philia,

You bring up a good point: The Talktime team have both intended and advertised this platform to provide a listening ear and emotional support for anyone who needs it. They have also encouraged those offering such services to charge money for it. A lot of us here came through job listings for remote life coaching positions, or some such, that were posted by the Talktime team.

Now, while I and many others came here hoping to find an easier time of making money, there are still a good number of people offering their time and services for free. You may have missed them if you haven’t spent much time looking through the service listings in #offer. You can also use the search bar at the top of each page to find the free services, if you want to take advantage of them.

Keep in mind, though, that if you’re looking for someone to practice communication with, or anything else, you can get more interest by offering some kind of compensation, even if not monetary. Nothing about this website forbids us being creative about the deals we make here.

Personally, I am interested in practicing with you. I agree that getting chances to communicate meaningfully are needful.

Would you like to send me details via private message?