Chess instructor: For anyone wanting to start playing chess!

Chess instructor: For anyone wanting to start playing chess!

Hi! My name’s Hung. I am based in Sydney, Australia, and I have been playing chess since 2011, and I studied chess under the tutelage of a grandmaster and an international master at Smartchess school.

I was part of the team that won the Inter-Schools tournament [2011] and the team that won the Smartchess School blitz championship [2013], as well as coming 4th within the Smartchess cohort, as part of the Saigon chess schools tournament [2013].

Yes, winning the game is the ultimate goal, but through my time at Smartchess I learned that there were so many elements needed to win a game of chess, aside from knowledge of the game such as critical thinking; quicker calculations; being patient to make the right moves, and staying calm to play the best you can – even when in a losing position; understanding the opponent’s intentions to master the art of pre-moves, and more!

Although I play chess mainly for fun nowadays, my passion for the game has not faded, and like many of you who have seen the ‘Queen’s Gambit’ series, my passion has been further elevated.

Since I am not a master, I can only teach to a certain point, but if your child is a beginner/starter player who wants to get better at the game, or if your child is wanting to enter the chess world for the first time, then please don’t hesitate to contact me, I would love to have the opportunity to teach, and I will do my best!

My style of teaching:
I am very open and flexible in that I will combine both theory and practicality through puzzles, and actively playing matches with your child. I can also slow down or speed up the teaching based on your child’s needs.

You can expect 100% honesty, commitment and confidentiality from me. However, I will also need your child to be open with me – I am willing to answer your child’s questions within my capability. I am also willing to give any advice they may need – whether it be something as broad as life, or other aspects of chess, like playing in physical tournaments.

Services:
(All prices are in AUD)

Private 1-on-1 teaching:
• Price: $20/hour
• Number of lessons: 1 or 2 times a week, negotiable.

Package:
• Price: $90 for 5 lessons; $170 for 10 lessons.

Payments accepted:
• PayPal; Bank transfer

Location (Remote/Online):
• Zoom; Google Meet/Hangouts; FaceTime.

If you are interested and have any questions, please send me an email, or you can direct message me on Talktime! I will usually get back to you within a few hours, but at the latest, between 1-2 business days.
My email: mai.viethung46@gmail.com