Ballet class barre for adults

My name is Cara King and I’m from the Philadelphia area, USA. I grew up in this area and still live here. I majored in Dance at Hope College in Holland, Michigan and have been teaching for 20 years. Classical ballet is my passion. I cherish being given the opportunity to pass on my love for dance to others.

I’m also a mommy to a six year old son named Luke, who is my other constant source of joy.

When I learned that the mission of Talktime was to make mental health available to all, I was encouraged to try it out, because I have struggled with depression throughout my life and dance has been one of the biggest things that has kept me going. I truly believe it’s the best all natural anti-depressant out there, and during these crazy unprecedented times I am certain there are a lot of us who need it.

I’m offering an hour long ballet class warm up (barre and stretch) with me. I don’t have the space for big movements across the floor, and I’m assuming most of my students wouldn’t either, but as beginners you only need to learn the basics of form before you can progress, which you get from taking barre.

It’s also great for improving posture, balance, flexibility, coordination, agility, and strength. And it’s a lot more interesting and complex than a standard fitness routine.
And it’s graceful and lovely. So you should definitely try it!

Here is a video of me teaching a class from my bedroom to my young elementary school age students at the start of the pandemic for you to check out if you’re interested.

Details:

Platform:
I would be using Zoom.

Fees:
Free trial class.

After that I would charge per session fee of $20 for a private lesson and $9 per class for a group session.

Payment:
I can accept PayPal or Zelle or Google Pay.

You can find me Facebook at @carabethballet or on my website carabethballet.com.

I will help you for free. Here’s how it works:

• Ask me your question in the comments. If you would like to ask an anonymous question, that’s fine. Please be respectful.

• If you would like me to take a look at something, post a photo or video. For videos, upload to YouTube then include the video link in the comments.

• Please give me up to 5 business days to respond to your question.

• Direct message me if interested. I will contact you within 2 business days by sending you a message on Talktime.

Interview with Talktime

What’s a fun fact about you?

I can recite the 50 states of the U.S. in alphabetical order in less than 25 seconds!! :rofl:

What can you talk about for hours?

Dance, obviously. Music, of course. I also enjoy visual art, literature, and psychology.

What’s your favorite smell?

Coffee and chocolate.

What are you proud of, but never have an excuse to talk about?

Overcoming mental health struggles.

What’s one super power you would NOT want?

Reading minds. Frankly, I don’t really want to know!

What is the most normal thing about you?

My knees. They’re fairly normal. I mean, I think they are, anyways. :woman_shrugging:

What do you hate?

Cold weather!!!

Anything else that you’d like to share?

The Royal Ballet in the U.K. has some fantastic posts on YouTube if you would like to learn more about the art form.

In my words

My teaching style

Laid back and personable.

What can you expect from my lessons?

Individual attention to your needs and a flexible approach.

Why me?

I’m knowledgeable and experienced and professional, but also very personable.

Why I’m passionate about this?

It brings joy and beauty and pleasure into life.

What else I can do?

I can draw pretty well. :grin:

2 Likes

Oh my gosh no way!!! I can’t believe you’re offering classes :open_mouth: You’re one of the BEST teachers I’ve ever had, so I can’t wait to finally get back on track with your training. Anybody would be crazy not to learn from you!

2 Likes

I just updated this post to change the class time from 45 minutes to an hour.